Supporting Our Little Ones in Health & Happiness
It can seem impossible to keep your children out of the doctor's office for any length of time. If it’s not a head cold, it’s a stubborn tummy ache. Then, as soon as you get one to feel better, now your other child has it. What’s a parent to do? Not only is there just not enough time in the day for this, but it’s also hard on the budget-- not to mention the anguish of seeing your babies in pain. Don’t lose hope, brave mother or father! The cycle ends here. Below, you will find tips and tricks for getting your kids well and keeping them that way by Dr. Sara Jernigan DC, mother of four.
4 Steps to a Healthy Child
Step 1: Hydrogen Peroxide & Epsom Salt Bath
- Buy 12 (1 quart) bottles of hydrogen peroxide and a box or bag of Epsom salts (usually Walmart or Walgreens have the best price on these).
- Pour 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide and 1 cup of Epsom salts into a bathtub of warm water. Have the child soak for no longer than 20 minutes. (For an adult double the measurements, but still, soak for only a max of 20 minutes).
The Hydrogen Peroxide will put oxygen into the child's body so it will work more effectively to help the body get rid of the infection. The Epsom salts are a great pain reliever and it also pulls out all the dead bacteria and viruses out of your child's body, so it helps them feel better without taking an over-the-counter pain reliever or fever-reducer. The Magnesium Sulfate contained in the Epsom salt helps the body heal. (check out the Epsom Salt article) Nine times out of ten, once the child has taken this bath, it puts them to sleep and allows the body to heal. They are not crying or feeling miserable, and you get to catch up on your to-do list-- everybody wins. If I was really concerned about their fever being too high, I would put 1 tablespoon of fresh or dried ginger or cut up lemons and add it to the bath water.
Step 2: Foot Rub
- If you have an essential oil on hand, use it to rub their little feet. Find the best oils to use here! If you don't have an essential oil, you can use olive oil or no oil. This is when I feel for what is going on inside my child's body. The younger the child is, the harder it is for them to say what is wrong, so they just cry. A good solution to this is using this reflexology chart and start feeling on the foot as to what is likely going on with your child. You will know better how to “diagnose” what aspect of their body is needing support. For example, if you feel an irregularity in the area of their intestines, you can deduce that perhaps the pain they feel is due to constipation.
Step 3: Remedies
- Give the child a dropper (approximately 20 drops) of a remedy. If they will not take it under the tongue, have them put a swallow of water in their mouth, then put the dropper of remedy in the back of their mouth and then have them quickly swallow. Or you can hide it in some organic juice. If they will not do this, then when I am drying them off from the bath, I will put a dropper up and down their spine and on their feet. This way the “icky” power-packed remedy will get inside them through the skin.
These remedies are all hand harvested, hand formulated and made with much prayerful intent put into each bottle. These remedies work really well on children, even if they are not diagnosed with any chronic condition. They are not full of "good" tasting fillers to make them take it. They are designed to get the job done.
Step 4: Sleep
- Tuck them in bed and create an environment where they can/will sleep as much as possible. They will usually wake up feeling much better, or wake up with a healthy appetite. I give them more of the remedy at this point, but they stay in bed and watch a movie and then hopefully go back to sleep. Sometimes, it just takes them half a day to get better, though sometimes it is 3 days or more with the typical cold or flu bug. The best part of this system is that I never use any over-the-counter drugs, or prescription drugs, or any fever or pain relievers. When their body fights this illness on its own, we are increasing their white blood cell count and have strengthened their immune system, so I know in the future they will be one of the healthy ones in school that never get sick compared to the children who always get sick.
Our Most Effective Remedies for Children
Common Colds & Influenze
Teething, Headaches, Poison Ivy, Rashes
Burns, Scratches, & Other Skin Problems
Giving Remedies to Children
- Take the 15-30 drops of each ethanol-based remedy under the tongue and hold there for a second or two before swallowing (do not attempt this with the apple cider vinegar-based remedies) OR...
- Hold a swallow of water in the mouth and put the 15-30 drops ethanol-based remedy then repeat for each remedy OR…
- Drink the 15-30 drops of each ethanol or apple cider vinegar- based remedy in 2-4 ounces of water or organic juice OR…
- Rub approximately 30 drops or half a teaspoon of each remedy on the naked spine or naked feet. The remedy will still be absorbed into the body.
- Molybdenum is in a capsule that is usually easy to swallow, but you may have to break open the capsule and mix the powder into applesauce or organic juice.
4 Easy Steps To Remove Bug Venom
Insect bites and stings are something that everyone has to deal with at one point or another no matter how much one sticks to the indoors. The results range from annoying, to painful, to dangerous. Whether it’s a mosquito, tick, spider, or bee, the problems aren’t caused by the bite or sting itself, but by the Venom the insect left behind. It can lead to a miserable afternoon or a visit to the emergency room. Either way, if treated quickly, many complications can be remedied and even avoided using the simple tool of poultices. However, please keep in mind that if somebody is experiencing a severe allergic reaction it is wise to seek immediate medical attention. It is most common in the world of poultices to hear of mixing an absorbent material with water or the like. We’ve taken that same concept and amplified the power many times over by adding our own twist to it.
Check for the stinger:
If the stinger is still in the skin remove it by using a credit card (or any other stiff straight edge) and scraping along the skin at least 2 inches before the stinger.
Make A Poultice Paste:
Mix 2-1/2 tbsps of baking soda with 2 tbsps Microbojen to make a thick paste.
Apply Poultice Paste:
Spread Evenly Ensure hands are clean and apply poultice paste thick to affected area using fingers.
Leave poultice paste on the skin and wrap with plastic wrap or any other moisture-resistant barrier you prefer. Check paste every 3-4 hours changing as necessary.